Time to send your kids back to school. But wait! Safety should be your top concern as roadways become congested and speeders breeze through once abandoned school zones.
Here are some driving tips for staying safe during the school year:
- Slow down when entering school zones and obey the speed limits.
- Watch for pedestrian crossings and be on the lookout for school crossing guards.
- Leave early to allow extra commute time during the week.
- Stop for school bus loading and unloading - never pass a stopped school bus!
- Don't use your cell phone while driving, but especially not while in a school zone.
- Adhere to your school's loading and drop off locations.
- Carpool to reduce the number of vehicles in school zones.
- Don't pass other vehicles while in a school zone.
- Don't block a crosswalk when stopped at light or stop sign.
- Check your side mirrors when opening car doors to prevent hitting bicyclists.
Keep these tips in mind on your morning and evening commutes to reduce the risk to children and parents getting to school.